Kindness is contagious- True Story

WAZZAP READER.

It has been a while since the last time I wrote anything here. Anyway, I just had my June-break and I had to say it was one of the most memorable holiday I've ever had.

I went to Melbourne and it was great. The place itself is great- no doubt, but more importantly the people are just wonderful. It amazed me how people are more considerate (if compared to the people in the places that I've been living in) towards each other there. 


The road there gets crowded too at times. I tend to walk clumsily, so yes, when I get lost I will stop in the middle of the road and forget that people behind me can accidentally bump into me.

As long as I could remember, usually when such thing happens, the person who bumped into me will look at me scornfully and walk away. Or if not, they will make a 'Tsk' sound before they walk away.
"Learn to walk properly before you go wandering around!"


In Melbourne, I bumped into people... More than 8 times? Okay, I've to admit that is quite frequent, but I couldn't really help getting lost once in a while. Anyway, it baffled me until now how people react so differently there.

I was the one who either bumped into them or made a sudden stop so they bumped into me, yet they are the one who said 'Sorry' and smiled at me. If that's not the case, I would be the one apologizing and they would actually reply, 'It's alright!' , 'It's okay!', 'Nevermind, mate!' while turning their head to me and smiled.

And then this other day, my father was taking pictures of my mom, little brother and I. When all of a sudden, a young woman approached him and said, 'Do you want me to take pictures of you and your family?'. I was shocked when she voluntarily offered to take pictures for us. My brother even spontaneously said, 'Don't! She will take the camera' (HAHA skeptical, but I could see why; and phew, thankfully he said it in Bahasa or the young woman would get offended).

It was funny how strangers could notice other strangers who may need help in the middle of a bustling city. It was simply great how they are not scared to approach us and kindly offered us help.

I was moved by their kindness, and I felt so guilty for not being able to do kindness to other. I learnt that kindess IS contagious. When you are receiving kindness from other people, it makes you sort of guilty for not doing so to other people. There is an urge to do good to other people, because you know it will make others happy- just like what other people have made us feel.

My brother and I were out for lunch when I saw this mother and her 6 years' old walking together. The mother's backpack was widely open, and she seemed to not notice that. Her purse almost fell. I could just ignore it and walked pass them, hoping that other people would tell her instead of me. I was actually thinking of what to do, when I remembered of what other people had done to me. I just felt that I had to do the right thing.

So I tapped on the mother's shoulder, 'Ma'am, your bag is open' When she turned around, her purse fell and I quickly caught it and gave it to her. 'Thank you very much! My son must have opened it!', her tone seemed very grateful. 'You're welcome', I said.

What's more amazing is I felt great after that. I was glad that I could help a mother from losing her purse. Imagine all the troubles she had to go through if she did drop her purse; if all other people were as indifferent as I almost wanted to be.

Kindness IS contagious- but it is good for you. It is good for other people too. It may sound weird but to me this kind of thing IS important. It just makes the world a better place to live in.

After I came back from Melbourne, I found it more difficult to be friendly to strangers again. The culture is just different. But then, let me quote my favorite *cough* man of all of time Mister Mikhail Gorbachev,

'If not me, who? If not now, when?'

and also like what the late King of Pop, Michael Jackson, said in one of his song, 'I'm starting with the man in the mirror'

Saying simple things such as 'Thank You', 'Sorry', 'Excuse me' and etc. can actually make a difference. So, let's begin this kind culture! :)

On the side notes,

Just finished my Common Tests. Sigh. After each paper, my friends and I felt that McDonald may not be such a bad place to work at, so yeah, would you like fries with your meal?

I've just moved to SA Hall and I'm really glad that my roommates are the people that I wanted to be in the same room with. Here take a look of us.
B11-11 <3

Have a good day people. ;)




0 comments:

Post a Comment